Feb 11 | Sur La Table
The Kitchen Assistant contributes to the success of a Sur La Table store by inspiring customers on all points of their culinary journey. The Kitchen Assistant blends a passion for cooking and entertaining to support the Resident Chef in driving business results. The Kitchen Assistant reports to the Resident Chef.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides an exceptional customer experience according to customer service standards. Proactively seeks out and greets customers.
- Supports an exceptional cooking class experience at every class by acting as an extension of the instructor. Reinforces and supports the techniques being presented in class.
- Stays informed by maintaining product knowledge, accesses available training and seeks out additional resources when necessary.
- Works as a part of a high-performing team to achieve store’s sales plan. Strives to achieve individual and/or class sales goals.
- Consistently follows all Sur La Table policies and standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Shares product assortment and services such as, gift registry and cooking classes with customers. Demonstrates products upon request of a customer or as directed by a manager.
- Assists with shopping for ingredients, class preparation or additional support as needed or directed by instructor.
- Washes dishes, cleans kitchen and preps kitchen for classes.
- Accurately records time worked according to SLT policy.
- Demonstrates exceptional verbal and written communication skills with employees, customers, field management and corporate office.
- May handle, serve, and pour liquor, wine and beer and/or mix ingredients, such as liquor, soda, water and etc. in order to prepare cocktails and other drinks.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by Resident Chef.
- Ability to communicate verbally and work cooperatively with employees and customers.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for up to 3 hours at a time.
- Ability to move about the work place coaching and directing class participants or while selling to customers.
- Ability to distinguish, with a degree of accuracy, differences or similarities in intensity or quality of flavors or odors, or recognizing particular flavors or odors using tongue or nose.
- Ability to grab, reach, push, pull, bend, stoop, kneel and crouch in order to demonstrate, retrieve and/or replenish merchandise and/or cooking equipment.
- Ability to use hands to seize, hold, grasp, turn, or otherwise in order to chop, whisk, slice, stir, juice and/or demonstrate other techniques.
- Ability to work a varied schedule including nights and weekends as business dictates.
- Ability to operate a computer, POS system, keyboards, merchandise scanners and mouse in order to accomplish work.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
- Ability to ascend/descend ladders in order to retrieve and/or move merchandise.
- Ability to lift and/or move merchandise and/or kitchen equipment weighing up to 35 lbs.
- Environmental conditions: working with an open flame and/or other heating units, and exposure to variation in kitchen temperature.
Experience and Required Qualifications:
- 1 year retail sales experience (preferred).
- 1 year food prep and/or kitchen operations experience (preferred).
- Valid Food Handlers and/or Food Managers Certification.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Familiarity with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
Sur La Table Core Competencies for Everyone:
- Focus on the Customer: You inspire and delight your customers.
- Be Genuine: Your communication style is respectful, effective and sincere.
- Make the Right Call: You effectively blend knowledge, experience, wisdom & decisive action.
- Take Ownership: You are committed, responsible and provide solutions.
- Achieve Results: You meet and exceed goals and expectations.