Hilldale, Operations Manager
The Operations Manager has overall responsibility for the successful operations of the property and onsite coordination and assistance for various phases of construction projects. The ideal candidate will be both a strategic leader and a detail-oriented executor. We work in an entrepreneurial environment, so the candidate must possess the ability to pivot and evolve, and to make decisions in a rapidly moving environment. An orientation toward customer service is also paramount as we work to serve our customers, our tenants, and our communities. The day to day work of an Operations Manager is highly cross-functional in nature.
Key position accountabilities
- Responsible for partnering in the oversight of the construction process related to tenant build outs and building development on property.
- Overseeing day to day construction activities as a partner to the Construction team, including daily check-ins with contractors, attending weekly Owner, Architect and Contractor (“OAC”) meetings, schedule monitoring, ensuring specifications are being strictly followed, and coordination of all aspects that impact the property, specifically other tenants.
- Coordinate and oversee tenant upgrades throughout term of the Lease on behalf of corporate team, which may include but not be limited to the replacement of HVAC equipment, storefront repairs or minor modifications/renovations of the space.
- Managing day to day operations of the property, including but not limited to snow removal, landscaping, trash removal, contracted cleaning services, contracted security services, contracted transportation services, physical plant and systems.
- Plan, organize, and monitor the scheduling, completion, and documentation of Preventative and Corrective Maintenance for both Tenant and base building related equipment. Ensure that all maintenance records are kept up-to-date and maintained as required using the work order and preventative maintenance system, Building Engines.
- Build relationships with key local partners/officials such as Building Department, Fire Safety, Conservation, Board of Health, DOT, and Emergency Services.
- Establish good relationships with + support tenants
- Work alongside onsite management team members, tenants, and Tenant Construction to create a healthy “onboarding” experience for new tenants getting to know the area and for local tenants getting to know WS.
- Partner with internal construction + development teams to build and maintain the property, including identifying improvement opportunities in an effort to always make our center(s) best in class
- In partnership with the GM, manage the property’s Common Area Maintenance (“CAM”) budget and critically evaluate financial trade-offs Select great + knowledgeable vendors and negotiate the best deals
- Partner with insurance companies + lenders on property related items
- Manage vendors including contracts, insurance requirements, and day to day optimization of staffing and staff performance
- Understand role is public-facing and requires nurturing of key relationships with the entire community
- Perform assessments to assist in the development of long-range capital plans and budget
- Stay abreast of lease terms for both new and existing tenants to understand maintenance obligations and the effects those obligations have on the day to day operations of the center.
- Serve as a member of the Manager on Duty (“MOD”) rotation (1 weekend day per month)
- Enthusiasm, entrepreneurial initiative, and a strong work ethic
- Strong organizational skills
- Clear, concise communication skills
- Desire to work hard & with a strong sense of urgency
- A team player
- Can-do, optimistic attitude
- Orientation toward innovation and trying new things
- Consistent focus on optimization and improvement (both self-improvement and the work)
- High ethical standards and integrity
- Proficiency in computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Outlook
- General proficiency in reading construction drawings. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- General knowledge of construction means and methods
- Ability to identify deficient work by general contractors and provide resolution.
- Desire to adapt to and embrace new technology
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Comfort with ambiguity and adaptability to change
- Occasional out-of-state travel is required
Education and experience
- College degree required
- Experience in property management, construction, or store management preferred
- Experience working in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving workplace